Women’s Self Defense
Did you know that, in North America, between 1 in 3 women will experience sexual assault during their lifetime?
Most people prioritize life skills like learning how to drive or to swim. And most will insure their “things” like their homes, their cars, or their possessions, but few take the time to protect what matters most — their lives.
Think of self-defense as literal life insurance.
You might think you’ll never fall victim to violence, but statistics simply don’t support .[i]And women are particularly vulnerable to certain types of attacks.
The wonderful news is SAFE International are the experts in self-defense, violence prevention, and personal-protection training, having taught over 200,000 women since 1994.
We can help bring you peace of mind in a small number of hours, not weeks or years.
At first, many feel intimidated at the thought of learning self-defense, but we understand the psychology behind those fears and our unique approach ensures you’re comfortable.
Benefits of a SAFE Self-Defense Course
- Increase your awareness and avoidance education regarding your specific daily routines and lifestyle
- Learn intelligent conflict-resolution training to avoid conflict
- Easy-to-use self-defense concepts and principles
- Learn defenses against the most common attacks
- Trauma-sensitive training for those who may have been victimized
Common Self-Defence Misconceptions
“It takes years to learn self-defense.”
I would be lying if I didn’t admit that, like anything, the more time you can put into it, the stronger you become. Still, one of the unique aspects of SAFE International is the design of our self-defense courses for the on-the-go businesswoman or busy stay-at-home parent.
We know that most people will probably only take one course in their lifetime, if they take any at all. That’s why we’ve constructed a self-defense program that gives you the tools to address violence prevention, starting with learning how to recognize early signs so you can avoid confrontation.
We teach sensible and memorable verbal and physical concepts and principles — all adapted to your lifestyle and the areas you’re most likely to face conflict or confrontation.
“You need to be in excellent physical shape to learn self-defense.”
You can be in any shape and still learn from our classes. Sure, being in good physical shape may support you regarding physical self-defense, but your mental skills and attitude regarding violence prevention are actually more significant than any physical skills.
Learning who and what you’re defending yourself against and knowing the reasons to defend yourself are critical —and we help you build those skills foremost. Without an effective attitude, your physical talents can only go so far. Your mind influences your body, so we start with the mind.
“Self-defense is about learning how to fight!”
Any self-defense program that begins with the physical side of self-defense is negligent. Self-defense should begin with learning how to recognize and avoid violence before all else.
If avoiding confrontation fails, though, it’s important to know other strategies to deal with the potential violence. So we address how to defend yourself if you’ve exhausted all other avenues of avoidance. Self-defense is not just about learning how to fight, but how to avoid a fight through all means possible.
“You must join a martial arts club to learn self-defense”
Great news! No, you don’t. SAFE International is a mobile self-defense business that teaches in schools, families’ homes, corporate offices, even outdoors when the weather is beautiful. If you don’t have a location, we have many contacts throughout the province where we may work out the training.
Martial arts is not self-defense. Martial arts is, as the name says, “an art.” There is no art in violence, and if you bring the tools you’ve learned in any of the martial arts to the scene of violence, you will not be prepared.
Have You Ever Asked Yourself Any of The Following Questions?
- Who do attackers victimize, and why?
- How should I approach my car in a parking lot or underground?
- Should I trust my intuition? What if it’s wrong?
- How should I walk, so I don’t look like an easy target?
- Is there a safer place to stand on an elevator?
- Is being too polite a negative thing? Would an attacker take advantage of my kindness?
- Even though I’m nervous about taking shortcuts, I still take them. What are the odds I will ever face an attack?
- I’m always uneasy and concerned when I use public transportation like buses, the subway, and taxis. Why is that?
- When someone rings my doorbell, I feel nervous about opening the door to them, but I do it because I don’t want to appear rude. Is this dangerous?
- I hear that cell phones can be both a good and risky safety device, but I’m not sure which. Which is it?
- Is it safer to carry my purse across my body or over one shoulder?
- I always wonder if I should fight to keep my valuables and identification. Is there a correct answer?
- Wouldn’t a kick to the attacker’s groin stop him?
- What if I’m not strong enough to defend myself against a bigger, stronger person?
Book A SAFE International Self-Defense Party!
Invite a group of your friends and family for a few hours of fun, education, and potentially, lifesaving instruction with one of our SAFE Women’s Self Defense Parties. Plan a meal, snacks, or dessert, and be prepared for a unique self-defense training experience.
What makes us so popular is our unique method of teaching with humour and our sharing of anecdotes.
This Is Not Your Mother’s Tupperware Party!
SAFE International has been featured on Global TV in Toronto, Canada
Book Your Bachelorette Party with Us
Your wedding is a special day — one you will remember forever. Why not make your bachelorette party memorable too, for you and your favourite gal pals? We have the perfect way to get all your wedding festivities started: a self-defense party! Not only will you get to spend some quality time with your BFFs, but you’ll learn some valuable life-saving skills. And your hubby-to-be will also feel great!